Just steps from Porto Vecchio the brick sidewalks of Old Town, so-called because it is the oldest part of Alexandria – originally laid out in 1749 – and a nationally designated historic district. Many of its 4,000 historic buildings houses, art galleries, antique shops and restaurants. Once the site of the second-largest slave market in the United States, Old Town’s Market Square now contains a large fountain, extensive landscaping and a Saturday morning farmers’ market.
Old Town is known for its illustrious residents and guests. George Washington called it home. Robert E. Lee worshiped at Christ Church and Thomas Jefferson entertained at nearby Gadsby’s Tavern. Old Town Alexandria offer a full menu of dining choices with restaurants ranging from fast-food to white tablecloth. A night on the town can be had at spots such as the Oyster Bar and Club Room at Union Street.
Porto Vecchio straddles the Mount Vernon trail which runs upriver toward Reagan National Airport and downriver toward Mount Vernon. Many residents of Porto Vecchio have views of the Belle Haven Marina or the Belle Haven Country Club.
Shop and Compare nearby Condos
Use these links to check out the neighborhood.
- Carlyle District — All about the Carlyle District in Old Town Alexandria
- Carlyle Towers — Search listings and check prices of condos for sale at Carlyle Towers
- Carlyle Square — modern condos near the USPTO
- Huntington Club — An affordable condominium community on the metro at Huntington Station
- Hunting Creek Info — Official information about Hunting Creek Condominiums
- Hunting Creek Club.com —High rise community at 2059 Huntington Ave, Alexandria VA 22303
- Montebello Alexandria — Tour the famed amenities of Montebello
- Midtown Alexandria Station — New upscale on the Yellow Line
- St. Asaph Square — courtyard condos in Old Town
- I love River Towers — Life, leisure and activities at River Towers
- Belle View condominiums — Garden-style condos on the Potomac
- The Alexandria House — hi-rise condos in Old Town Alexandria